- The first step is to fill and empty the oak barrel a few times to remove any leftover debris.
- Next, insert and hand tighten the spigot.
- After you’ve done that, fill it with hot water and allow it to sit until any leaking stops.This could take a few minutes or a few days. Be sure to keep the barrel(s) in an area where the leaking water will not have any negative affect, like a sink, bath tub or bowl.
- Once any leaking has ceased, turn the spigot to the on position and allow all the water to run out. Let the barrel sit empty for about four hours.
- Lastly, put the barrel on the stand, with the bung hole facing up, and fill with your favorite wine or spirits. Seal with your bung.
To clean your barrel, you will need Barrel-Kleen which Red Head Oak Barrels provides. Dissolve the solution in a gallon of water and then pour this into the barrel. Allow to soak for 24 hours. After this, rinse the barrel completely. Then, dissolve the neutralizing acid in a gallon of water and fill you barrel with this solution. Allow to soak for 15 minutes. Empty the barrel and rinse a few times with water.
For storing, fill the barrel with filtered or distilled water and be sure to check it every few months to see if it needs to have more water added; you don’t want the wood to become dry.