If you want to make a smooth tasting Manhattan, try a Manhattan stored in a charred oak barrel because it will produce a mellow taste and add complexity and color to the drink.
To make the perfect Manhattan, follow the recipe below, close the tap and pour in bitters, sweet vermouth and rye. Make sure the bung fits snugly to yield the best tasting Manhattan. Rotate the barrel 90 degrees once a week so the Manhattan mix touches all areas of the inside of the barrel.
Pour approximately 2.5 to 3 shots of the Manhattan mixture into a glass of ice, stir it and strain into another chilled glass or simply pour the Manhattan over ice in a rocks glass. Garnish the Manhattan with orange zest and Maraschino cherries for the best tasting Manhattan.
This is one of the best tasting and oldest cocktails drinks that you can find. It was the first drink that used vermouth for a modifier. With a Martini, there are a several small differences with the drink that are considered a preference, which are the Dry Manhattan, Brandy Manhattan, Perfect Manhattan, Southern Comfort Manhattan, and Scotch Manhattan.
The Classic Manhattan Recipe:
- rye whiskey 1 1/4 oz
- Angostura bitters 2 – 3 dashes
- sweet vermouth 1/2 oz
- maraschino cherry
Pour your Manhattan from your oak barrel into a glass and mix with ice cubes. Stir it well. Then strain it into a cocktail glass that has been chilled and garnish it with a cherry.
• Dry Manhattan – Use just a dash of dry vermouth then garnish with lemon.
• Scotch Manhattan – Use scotch instead of whiskey.
• Brandy Manhattan – Use brandy instead of whiskey.
• Perfect Manhattan – Equally use dry and sweet vermouth. Garnish with lemon.
• Southern Comfort Manhattan – Use southern comfort instead of whiskey.